Voice of Navkshitij: April 2015
From The President’s Desk
Three years of Voice of Navkshitij; three new initiatives:
I am happy to share with you that we have completed three years of publication of our monthly newsletter, Voice of Navkshitij. It has been a tremendous pleasure sharing with you the happenings at Navkshitij, through our newsletter. We feel so happy and inspired when we receive feedback from you. We’ve come a long way since the first issue,three years ago. In our newsletter, we try to cover as many events of the past month as possible.Often, due to space constraints, we are unable to cover them all. However, we do write about every event on Facebook and on our website. We hope you will give us the same support through following us on Facebook too. We would also like more reader participation in the newsletter. We invite you to write to us and share your experiences at Navkshitij, which we could publish.
Bringing out the newsletter on time every month has been possible, thanks to the efforts of Wayal Sir, Rani, Vasudha, and Trustee Kanaka Cadambi, who is also the editor of our newsletter. It is our endeavor to stay committed to bringing out the newsletter regularly in the coming years too.
Three New Initiatives:
We are launching three new initiatives in June. The first is an Early Intervention and Day Care Program for special children in the 2–8 age group, near Kharadi, Pune. This is in collaboration with Sroat School (a Steiner School). Sroat is a school for normal children. We are also starting a Day School for special children in the 6-18 age group, at our Marunji premises.
Our third initiativeis a Day Workshop for adult special friends, also at Marunji. Fiserv India Pvt Ltd is supporting the Early Intervention Program and Flextronics is helping us with the Day Care program. Without their support, we could not have taken these big steps. We use this opportunity to thank them for their consistent support and encouragement.
Nightwalk in Marunji Jungle:
I’ve always wanted to a night walk in a jungle with our Friends. One day, I met a young boy Ruturaj Joshi from Badalapur. I found that we shared a passion for the outdoors. I voiced my desire to take our Friends for a night walk in a jungle.Ruturaj instantly agreed to join me and help organize this. We finalized a date.
On April18, Ruturaj, his wife Nandini, and their friends Makarand Karve, Yogesh Nagardeolekar, Shubhajit Ghosh and Mrugank Prabhm – all outdoor lovers – drove down to Marunji from Badalapur. They are so passionate about outdoor activities that they set out every weekend for an outing, in spite of their back to back work schedules.
After a formal introduction to our Friends, our guests enlightened us about the plants that are growing in our Marunji premises. We learnt many interesting facts about the trees and plants that we see at Navkshitij every day. For instance,we did not know that there were Bakul and sheesham trees in the premises.
After dinner, we started our night prowl. First, we walked around our premises. We were thrilled to sight a Spotted Owlet on the volleyball bar. We then proceeded to the jungle in Marunji. Both the staff and our Friends were excited to be taking this night stroll in a jungle. During the walk, Ruturaj introduced us to many stars in the sky. It was interesting to see the Shukra star disappear even as were watching it. He caught a small type of jungle lizard and a frog, much to the delight of our Friends. We saw the cocoon of a butterfly, trap of a Lion ant, dung of rabbit, and a long tail shrimp sleeping on the branches of a tree.When we reached the water reservoir in the jungle, we suddenly saw two bright spots of light like a torch light. We trained our eyes on it and realized that those were the eyes of an animal – a fox, jackal, wild dog or…
We soon began the return journey to Marunji. At Navkshitij, we had an ice-cream party in the garden. Many Friends voiced the thrill and joy that they experienced doing the night walk.
We thank Ruturaj and group and we hope to have many more adventures with them in the near future.
- May 18: Office reopens after summer vacation
- May 19: Residential facility reopens after summer vacation
- April 11: Annual Shopping program at Kakade Mall.
- April 16:Shambhur Pratishthan, Kalewadi, Pune, organized a musical program on the occasion of Ambedkar Jayanti. Navkshitij friends presented a skit for them.
- April 18: Aazaadiya,a group of 18 students Std. 12 students whose endeavor is to engage in social activities, visited Navkshitij. This is their first interaction with mentally challenged friends.
- April 18:Night Walk inside Marunji Jungle
- April 21:Visit by KPIT interns
- April 24: Health Check-up Camp conducted by Aditya Birla Hospital, Pune.
- April 24: Visit by volunteers from Hyatt Place Pune, Hinjewadi
- April 25:Clean Marunji Campaign
Navkshitij now needs:
- 3 Godrej cupboards (big) – Approximate cost Rs. 8,000 each
- 24 Broomsticks – Approximate cost Rs. 1800
- 24 Thick Brooms (kharate) – Approximate cost Rs. 1200
- 12 Bathroom Mugs – Approximate cost Rs. 840
- 3 Medium sized Mirrors – Approximate cost Rs. 5250
- 3 Big sized Mirrors – Approximate cost Rs. 6000
- 12 Tiles cleaning brushes – Approximate cost Rs. 3600
Thank you from Navkshitij to:
- Mr. Vinay Ninave
- Mr. Karan Ajay Chadha
- Mr. Raunak Rajan
- Mr. K. N. Rajakumar
- Ms. Shakuntala BhimraoHampi
- Fiserv India PrivateLimited
- Flextronics Technologies(India) Pvt. Ltd.
- Jakson Limited Plc Ac.
- Hyatt Place Pune,Hinjewadi
- Ms. Aditi Bhand
- Mr. Vivek Jagtap
- Mr. Sohil Jain
- Mr. Jignesh Ranpara
- KPIT Pune
- Mr. Sunil Kulkarni
- Ms. Nadinee Vagale
- Ms. Ankita Chopda
- Mr. Rahul Anshuman
(A monthly newsletterpublished by Dr. Neelima Desai and edited by Kanaka Cadambi on behalf of Navkshitij)