Voice of Navkshitij, August 2013
From The President’s Desk
Is India really free?
On August 15, we celebrated Independence Day at Marunji, with freedom fighter, Shri. Arvind Manolkar, as a special invitee. Later in the day, I began wondering: Is India really a free and happy country? Is everyone, especially the handicapped, leading a good life in our country? Are we tolerant towards all religions? Are we contributing to make India a better place to live in for the underprivileged? I think we really have to pull our socks up… We have to start working from within ourselves.
We have to come out of our comfort zone and become more tolerant. Very importantly, we should become more open towards the handicapped, like people with autism, dyslexics, slow learners etc. Maybe many of us already are... We should learn to rise above merely feeling sorry for them and learn to respect them. We should learn to give more support to weak people like addicts, obese persons and others in the grey area to help them overcome their weaknesses and live a happy life. We can help them to lead a good life. If each individual starts working towards this, I am sure India will be really free,
happy and a better place to live in. Jai Hind.
The true champions of Friendship
Friends from the Rotaract Club of Sports City, Pune celebrated Friendship Day at Navkshitij on August 4. Since the last six years, the club members have been celebrating this occasion with our Friends. The club members think ahead, plan and make sure that the day is a happy one for our Friends. The Club’s current President calls me 15 days prior to the event and confirms that he/she will be coming and to discuss the plans for the day.
Now, after six years, they know what our Friends like and what they are capable of. So this call is becoming just a formality. They’ve become so aware and sensitive. This year, they were eight members, led by Akanksha. The first activity was tying the Friendship bands, which was followed by fun activities such as lemon and spoon race, dancing to songs from Bollywood movies, and collage painting – a group activity. At the end of the session, the members distributed chocolates and donated door mats.
Our Friends really enjoy celebrating Friendship Day with the members from this club. They wait for the young brigade from the club. These youngsters are truly champions of friendship. We appreciate not just their thought but also their consistency. When young people come forward with such regularity to contribute towards giving happiness to special friends, it is very touching. It adds to our strength and motivation.
• September 5: Teacher’s Day
• September 9: Ganesh Sthapana
• September 11: Traffic awareness at Kalyani Nagar chowk, Nagar Road.
• September 13: Ganesh Visarjan
• September 28: Trek to Duke’s Nose Point
Important events in the last few weeks
• July 31: Workshop for teachers from schools participating in the Natya Mahotsav 2013. Topic -Training Special Friends to Act
• August 2: Outing for evening snacks for the residents of Marwa house. This event was sponsored by Friend Gautam’s parents.
• August 4: Friendship day with Rotaract Club of Sports City, Pune
• August 7: Traffic Awareness Programme at Pune Vidyapeeth chowk
• August 11: Celebrated Nagpanchami in the traditional way, with mehndi, traditional games, puran poli etc.
• August 15: Celebrated Independence Day. Flag hoisting by our honourable guest, freedom fighter Shri. Arvind Manolkar
• August 20: Celebrated Raksha Bandhan
• August 23: Monthly visit by KPIT interns
• August 24: Trek to Shivneri
Navkshitij Now Needs
• 3 Garden benches – Approximate cost Rs. 5, 000 for each
• 1 DVD Player with recording facility – Approximate cost Rs.10,000
• Solar cooker to cook for 55 persons – Approximately Rs. 30,000
• Computer Games
Thank you from Navkshitij to:
• Members of Rotaract Club of Sports City, Pune
• KPIT interns
• Vinita Sachin Chavan
• Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd
• Mr. Vinod Gupta
• Dr. Meghana Thakar
• Mr. Gaurav Gat
• Mr. Sanjay Komple
• Mr. Subhash Vaidya
• Akkalkot Swami Maharaj Sansthan, Pune
• Sankalp Consumer Products Ltd
• Staff of Spans Filter Mist India Pvt Ltd
• Rotary Club of Koregaon Park
• JSPM Group of Colleges MBA students
• Tata Auto Comp
• IIMS MBA students, Nere, Pune
• Mrs. Archana Waikar
• Mr. Abhay Bhalchandra Khanapure
• Mr. Acharya Chintada
• Mr. Srinath Ukidave
• Mr. Vivek Desai
• Mr. R. C. Bajaj
• Lion’s Club of Pune Seniors
• Ms. Priyanka Jangam
• Mrs. Shubhangi Potnis
Voice of Navkshitij is a monthly newsletter published by Dr. Neelima Desai and edited by Kanaka Cadambi on behalf of Navkshitij