Voice of Navkshitij: February 2014
From The President’s Desk
15-day Course for Caregivers launched
Having run a residential facility for ten years, we are aware how important caregivers are to an organisation like ours, which is committed to mentally challenged adults. We do not get ready trained caregivers. And, it is very difficult to train them, mould them and make them ready for the job.
Medhatai, Vijaya tai and Deshpande sir (from Sadhana Village) and I would frequently discuss the idea of starting a training program for caregivers.This month, we took that step and launched a 15-day course for caregivers on February3 at Navkshitij. For seven days, we conducted the sessions at Sadhana Village.
We had many meetings and brain storming sessions and then we designed the course syllabus. It included topics such as what is mental retardation, what type of first aid should be given in case a Friend gets hurt or gets an epileptic attack, how to take care of adult Friends, how to understand their psyche andhandle their behavioural problems such as mood swings, how to keep their rooms,cupboards and the premises clean, and how to teach or help Friends to maintain physical cleanliness. We also had sessions on soft skills, music and hobby activities. The education level of the participants is Std. VII pass. We had to keep this in mind while designing the course.
Four persons completed the inaugural program. Fifteen staff members from Navkshitij and Sadhana Village attended many lectures. Two staff members from Umed Pariwar attended the course.
For me, it was a very satisfying experience.
Organisations like ours can now get trained staff and, in turn, special
friends will get better care and good quality life.
Sixth Parvati Hill Climbing competition
We held the sixth edition of our annual Parvati Hill Climbing competition on February 5. This year, 195 Friends from 18 special schools participated. Volunteers from Zhep Adventures, a Pune-based company that organizes trekking and adventure activities, were present in large numbers to help us. Rotary Club of Koregaon Park, Pune, Mr. Nitin Joshi (a well-wisher) and Fiserv sponsored the event. Dr.Rajkumar Shah was present at the venue, ready to handle any emergencies.
On the day of the event, the excitement of the special friends was so palpable. One has to be present at the event to feel it and enjoy it. The special friends enjoy participating in the competition, the snacks and tea that follows the running and the prize distribution ceremony.
Well-known writer,Mr. P. K.Ghanekar, was the chief guest. Mr. Prasad Joshi was the guest of honour. Mr. Joshi is an avid trekker; he has scaled the Everest in 2012.
We would like to express our special thanks to Mr. Manoj Bhagwat, Adv. Sudesh Hadke and Adv.Sunil Kadam from Navkshitij Adventure Club, and Mr. Bhau Patankar and Mr.Devesh Abhyankar from Zhep for their tremendous help. We also thank Mr. Bipin Sangle for compering the event, and Marg Relations for handling the PR for the event.We have no words to thank Mr. Narayan Mahajan, 94 years young andfounder of Pune Mountaineer. He regularly goes to Sinhgad and the mighty Himalayas for trekking. We are so blessed to get his blessings for this event. We’d like to add a special word of thanks to our colleagues at Navkshitij for their help, confidence and support.
- March 8: Visit by Dilkhush Sansta, Mumbai
- March 12: Traffic Awareness Drive, Pune Vidyapeeth Chowk
- March 15: Rangpanchami – with volunteers from CoExist and Emcure
- March 16: Celebrating Holi
- March 24: Drama computation at Umed Parivar
- March 29: Trek to Taljai
Last Month’s events
- February 3 to 19: Course for Caregivers
- February 5: 6th Annual Parvati Hill Climbing Competition
- February 8: Annual Siblings Conference
- February 15: Dr. Neelima Desai was honoured with the Nirmal Ranvara Krutadyata Award, for her outstanding service in the field of rehabilitation of mentally challenged friends. The award was given to her by Vanchit Vikas, an NGO committed to upbringing of the poorer sections of the society.
- February 20: Traffic Awareness Program at Kalyani Nagar Chowk
- February 20: Walk to Tamhini Ghat - Devrai
- February 27: Celebrated Mahashivratri
- February 28:Friendly cricket match with the employees of Marriot group’s Courtyard Pune, Hinjewadi
Navkshitij Now Needs
- One garden swing (to seat 4 in each) Approximate cost Rs. 10,000
- Closing the dining area in the women’s unit. Approx cost Rs. 30,000
Thank you from Navkshitij to:
· WeKare Society, Capgemini
· Jakson Limited Elc. Ac.
· Mr. Makarand Date
· Mr. Abhishek Desai
· Mr. Kulkarni Ravindra Shreeniwas
· Mr. B. A. Kolah
· Xoriant Corporation
· BOM Retd. Employees Welfare Association
· Dhanasri Vaidy
· Mrs. Deepika Varma
· Fiserv India Pvt. Ltd.
· United Way of Mumbai
· Mr. Ashok & Mrs. Neela Lele
· Sushila Dinkar Godbole Trust
· Madhavi Gangapurkar
· Akalkot Swami Maharaj Sansthan, Pune
· Mr. Sagar Mhetre
· J. K. Martha
· Ms. Lakshmi
· Sankalp Consumer Products Pvt. Ltd
· Mr. Sunil Kulkarni
(A monthly newsletter published by Dr. Neelima Desai and edited by Kanaka Cadambi on behalf of Navkshitij)