Voice of Navkshitij: July 2014
From The President’s Desk
Traffic Awareness Drive – Why and What
Since2007, we have been conducting the Traffic Awareness program every month. The traffic problem in Pune needs to be addressed on a priority basis. It is a social issue. We also believe that special friends also should not only take from society but also contribute their bit. We know that in their own way they can contribute towards educating the public and making Pune a better place to live in. We brought these two ideas together and thus was born the monthly Traffic Awareness program.
Our Friends stand at an important and safe chowks (junctions) in the city, holding placards in their hands. The placards carry messages on the importance of following traffic rules and being responsible citizens, such as No Hurry No worry, Please help children, old and handicapped people cross the road. Invariably, our Friends get a positive response from the police and passersby.They cheer them with a thumbs up sign. Our Friends are very enthusiastic about participating in this event.
The high point of this event is the privileged “chai” time with the traffic police, at the end of the session. Our Friends share a cup of tea, biscuits and snacks with the policemen. This initiative has given us the privilege of witnessing the sensitive side of the police department. On one occasion, it was Friend Pallavi’s birthday on Traffic Awareness day. When the police inspector came to know about it, he ordered a cake and we celebrated Pallavi’s birthday in the police chowki. A memorable day for Pallavi and us. Our friends feel very proud and happy to participate in this event and we feel glad to be able to provide them with opportunities which that can give them tremendous happiness.
Feedingthe hearts – Anuradha and Sanjivani
Anuradha Kumbhar and Sanjivani Harpude are in charge of the kitchen at Navkshitij. Anuradha has been with us since 2007, almost from the time that we launched the residential unit at Marunji. Sanjivani joined us in 2008.
Both of them cook delicious food forus each day. Our Friends love the food that they cook and never hesitate to express their gratitude to them. More than their cooking abilities, we at Navkshitij appreciate their ability to take decisions independently, wheneveran occasion demands.
Our menu is changed every month. On festival days, they cook complicated Maharashtrian delicacies like ukdiche modak and gulachi poli; they do it with a smile on their face and love in their heart. They are open to learning other specialties and prepare them for our friends. They now make lovely panipuri, and ragda patties.
The duo manages the kitchen very well. We are fortunate to have them at Navkshitij and are grateful to them for their contribution towards making our Friends happy.
- August 1: Nagapanchmi
- August 3: Friendship Day with volunteers from the Rotaract Club Of Pune Sports City
- August 10: Raksha bandhan
- August 15: Independence Day – Kusgaon Van bhojan
- August 18: Dahi handi (Gopalkala)
- August 23: Trek to Kenjalgad
- August 29: Ganeshmurti Sthapana
- July 12: Guru Purnima Celebration
- July 16: Traffic Awareness Programme
- July 24: Monthly visit by KPIT interns
- July 26: Trek to Raigad
- July 30: Drama workshop for teachers
- July 31: Mehendi programme
Navkshitij now needs:
- 9 Steel Cupboards (small size ) – Approximate cost Rs.3,500 each
- 12 Door mats
- 4 Mattresses
- 6 Radio sets – Approximate cost Rs.6,000
- 1 Washing Machine – Approximate cost Rs. 20,000
- 25 Bedsheets
- 6 Umbrellas
- 2 Syntax Water Tanks (capacity 2000 litres)
Thank you from Navkshitij to:
- Ms. Vijayshri Milind Bhide, Pune
- Ms. Anjali Bhagat
- Vijay Kaul
- Jakson Limited
- Ms. Manjula Prasad
- Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd, Hinjewadi
- M/S Sharda Caterers
- Fiserv India Pvt. Ltd., Delhi
- Mr. S.Saonerkar
- Mr.Nitin Bartakke
- Orizo Sky India Pvt Ltd., Pune
- BarclaysTech, Pune
- Mr.Aditya Kelshikar
- Mr.Vimal Patil
- Ms.Amruta Jairam
- Ms.Seema Waghmare
- Mr.K. Haridasan
- Ms. J.K. Martha
- Ms.Ujjawala Barve, Dr Meenakshi Borate and members of Rotary Club of Gandhibhavan
- Mr. B.Vinod Cadambi
- Members of Rotaract Club of Pune Pashan
(A monthly newsletter published by Dr. Neelima Desai and edited by Kanaka Cadambi on behalf of Navkshitij)