Voive of Navkshitij: March 2015
From The President’s Desk
A pleasant surprise:
March brought us a very pleasant surprise. One morning, I got a call from Kesari Tours asking me to send them copies of our registration and other legal documents because they wanted to help us under their CSR. They screened our documents and decided to give us a donation, thanks to some strong recommendation by Mr. Mahesh Manjrekar, the well-known actor and director.
And how did it happen? For the last four years, Marathi film and theatre personalities are being felicitated with the Marathi International Cinema and Theatre Awards (MICTA). MICTA is the brainchild of Mr. Mahesh Manjrekar. This year, the felicitation function was held at Dubai. I had no clue how Kesari was going to help us or how MICTA was going to impact us. On March 22, I suddenly started getting calls congratulating me on receiving a donation of Rs. 10 lakh from Kesari Tours at the MICTA award function. Mr. Mahesh Manjrekar and his wife Medha Manjrekar had accepted the cheque on behalf of Navkshitij from Mrs. and Mr. Kesari Patil of Kesari Tours. They telecast the function on TV on March 22.
I was so touched by Mr. Manjrekar’s generosity. After they returned to India, Icollected the cheque from Mr. Manjrekar and Mr. Patil. When I met them, I was overwhelmed with gratitude. The donation has come at such an opportune time. Weare in the process of expansion and we really need money. We were so concerned about raising a big amount. Mr. Manjrekar’s gesture and Kesari’s donation was godsend for us.
We are blessed to be surrounded by kind hearted people like Mr. Mahesh Manjrekar and Mr. Kesari Patil. Thanks to their generosity, we can think of expanding and reaching more and more mentally challenged people and giving them a life of happiness. Mr. Manjrekar has contributed to Navkshitij many times in the past. We are grateful to him and his wife, and Mr. Kesari Patil from Kesari Tours for this contribution.
EliasSternberg – The ideal volunteer
Elias Sternberg is a 19-year-old German boy from Ottersberg, a small town near Bremen. He joined Navkshitij on November 14, 2014, as a resident volunteer and will be here till November this year. He came to us through Waldorf, a German organisation.
The first thing that struck me about Elias was his maturity. He is very mature for his age. Another important thing is that Elias is very content with himself.Also, unlike young boys of his age, Elias is not constantly on the phone checking WhatsApp or Facebook. Avery simple boy, Elias got connected with all of us instantly. He cannot speak English fluently, but then verbal communication is only 7%; the remaining 93%is non-verbal communication. With his body language and winning smile, he unfailingly makes the people around him feel comfortable. He is ready to do any task at Navkshitij, be it monitoring the morning exercise session, pitching in at the workshop,accompanying our Friends on their evening walk or manning stalls. He eats whatever is given to him and without any complaints. We ask him time to time if he has any problems in the room, with the staff members or the food. His instant response is, “Not really.”
We can be happy - if we decide to - in any situation or circumstance. If we start thinking for others, we can be better human beings and truly make this world beautiful. Navkshitij is indeed fortunate; we get opportunities to meet wonderful human beings like Elias.
- April 11: Annual Shopping at Kakade Mall
- April 16: Annual Medical Check-up at Birla Hospital
- April 25: Night trek around Marunji hills
- March 5: Holi celebrations with volunteers from Emcure and Ecoexist
- March 6: Rangapanchami celebrations at Navkshitij
- March 8: On the occasion of International Women’s Day, VishwaJagriti Mission Trust conferred the PunyadhamAward 2015 to Dr. Neelima Desai for her “virtuous contribution” to society.Dr. Neelima was presented the award by the Maataaji of Punyadham ashram.
- March 18:-20: Pranayam sessions for Navkshitij staff conducted by Mr.Sunil Parkhi from Nitor Infotech
- March 21: Gudhi Padwa (Maharashtrian New Year) celebrations
- March 27: Visit by employees of Tata Motors Limited
- March 28: Trek to Marunji; Get-together with the volunteers whoaccompanied us to Bharatpur
Navkshitij now needs:
- One Volleyball Net –Approximate cost Rs. 900-1,000
- Two Tabs – Approximate cost Rs.9,000 each
- Two desktop computers –Approximate cost Rs. 25,000 each
- Four pedestal fans –Approximate cost Rs. 1,600 each
Thank you from Navkshitij to:
- Kesari Tours and Travels
- Mr.C. E. Potnis
- Ms.Usha Subramanian
- Mr.Vidyadhar Kelkar
- Mr.Abhay Khanpure (Meritech)
- Mr.Siddharth Satpute
- Tuffplast Pune Pvt. Ltd.
- Jakson Ltd. Plc Ac.
- Tata Motors Ltd
- Mr.Sameer Madan Alve
- Mr.Vinod Mohan Chainani
- Mr.Anurag Arya
- Mr.Ahmed Abdul Ghaffar
- Mr.Vinay Ninave
- Ms.Disha Barve
- Mr.Amol Charegaonkar
- Ms.Noopur Fadnvis
- Mr.Popat Laxman Waydande
- Mr.Abdul Jariwala
- Ms.Vimal Patil
- Employees of KPIT Technologies Ltd.
- FlextronicsTechnologies (India) Pvt Ltd.
(A monthly newsletter published by Dr. Neelima Desai and edited by Kanaka Cadambi on behalf of Navkshitij)